Thursday, October 29, 2009

Gluten Free pasty take 2

You may have read about the shenanigans of my first encounter with pastry, well armed with some bought gluten free pastry sheets from Melbourne Food Services, I eventually got around to having another try. So as before:

Dish: Gluten free pastry/pasty
Special need categories: gluten free, low fructose
Special needs translated: no gluten, no onion

Pastry:
  • Frozen gluten free puff pastry sheets
Filling:
  • Potato
  • Celery
  • Sweet potato
  • Corn cut off the cob
  • Carrot
  • Mushrooms
  • Beef rump steak
  • Massel 7’s Chicken stock
  • Garlic (crushed)
  • Oregano
  • Rosemary
  • Salt & pepper
  • Butter

Method

As a variation on last time I decided to mash my potato to hold everything together a bit more and once again I wanted to pre-cook ingredients to save time and to ensure it was cooked through because it was going to be a bigish pastry.

Preheat oven to 180-200 deg C. (depending on size and oven)

Start by dicing, cooking & mashing the potato. I simply microwaved it in a pyrex dish and mashed with a fork, didn't add anything to it like I would when serving as a side dish.

Next dice all other filling ingredients and pre-cook them, again I used the microwave. I started with just the sweet potato in and added in the things that would take less time to cook as I went. It doesn't matter if everything isn't fully cooked as we are still going to bake it.

Add all filling ingredients except the butter to a bowl and mix through. I added a little olive oil to help things combine better.

When trying to separate my semi-defrosted pasty sheets I had a few breaks, so rather than making a traditional pasty shape I went for an over-sized sausage roll which was super easy and worked well.

Lay the pastry sheet out on a greased baking tray and put the filling down 1/3 of it, leaving some space on the outside edge to join it up. I piled it reasonably high and pushed/shaped it all together a bit as the potato will hold it in place (and everything will shrink when cooked anyway), then put a few small dobs of butter on the top. I used a fork to roughen the pasty surfaces that would be joined together and then folded the rest of the pastry sheet over the top. Spreading some melted butter on the join surface they just get pushed together and then the whole "sausage roll" is brushed with melted butter and place in oven. I think our took about 30 min too cook but it will depend on the size and temperature, because the filling was precooked it should be ready when the pastry looks good.

While it would have gone well with a good chutney/sauce/relish, we were late for a movie so we chopped it in half, wrapped it up in foil and ate as we walked to the cinema :)

No comments:

Post a Comment