Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Massel 7’s fructose friendly stock

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update (14/7/2011): Massel to redevelop a 7's Fructose Friendly Formula
I just got an email from Mark at Massel to say:
"We have had many emails from people such as yourself and have now 'heard the call'. To this end I am happy to report that our R&D department is now working on an onion free version to cater for the Fructose Malabsorbtion community."
This is great news! Thanks to everyone that contacted Massel to request the change, and thanks to Massel for their quick action!
In the meantime continue checking your packets as I suspect it will take some time for the new formula to hit the shelves and I'll keep you informed with updates as soon as I know.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update (12/7/2011): WARNING.  Massel 7's stock now has ONION in it! The onion (and garlic) is clearly listed in the ingredients but the rest of the packaging is the same so be sure to check.  You may get lucky and find some made with the old onion free formula.  To the best of my knowledge this was the only fructose friendly stock on the market so it might be worth sending an email to Massel to request they change it back.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To all those who can't eat fructose and missing out on yummy risottos and soups, then Massel 7’s stock is for you! (Thanks to my sister who put me onto this)

I had assumed that this was a specialty item, possibly not even made any more after speaking to a friend who couldn't find, checking my supermarket, and not finding it on Massel's web site. That was till my sister left a comment that said "I found it in Coles Mitcham last week . . . " (or something like that).

So on my next supermarket trip to Coles on Glenferrie Rd (Hawthorn), guess what I found . . .

They seem to come in chicken and beef stock cubes with very little advertising or marketing buzz words on the packet. They are both gluten free and vegan according to the ingredients it does not specify where the 'natural flavours' actually come from. It does not indicate it is fructose free however, the Massel's normal stock cubes have almost identical ingredients BUT they individually list the 'dehydrated vegetables' they contain which includes onion.
  • Massel 7's chicken stock: Marine salt,rice flour, vegetable oil, sugar, natural flavors, yeast extracts, vegetable protein extract(soy derived), disodium inosinate and guanylate, herb extract
  • Massel Chicken stock: Marine salt, rice flour, hydrogenated vegetable oil, sugar, yeast extract, vegetable flavours, vegetable protein extract (wheat derived), dehydrated vegetables (onion, celery, parsley).

I did find them listed on the Allergy Block web site as; Gluten free, Egg free, Nut free, Dairy free, Low fat, Vegan, Vegetarian, Halal.

So to the best of my knowledge they are 'fructose friendly' but I'd be interested to find some more concrete evidence on this. Drop me a comment if you can help!

5 comments:

  1. I can't really take credit for finding them :) I sent out my info sheet for Scripture Union to some friends who were either coeliac or fructose free to get their feedback and to make sure it was correct. Ruth told me about the 7s. I didn't notice that it had favour enhancer 635 in it. I'll have a look back at work to see if that should be of concern.

    I love that the regular Massel is vegan and gluten free. Makes it really handy to have when cooking on camps etc, cos I can add it to everyone's meals (well except the fructose free ones).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just heard from Massel and their chicken stock cube is now fructose free! The beef one though is not so should still be avoided.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been periodically check ever since I posted this and found some with fructose friendly ingredients list just recently too. They seem to be in the supermarkets but make sure you double check. The old ones had onion clearly labeled so hopefully a list without onion will be safe! (will update this article soon...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Will
      I find the list of ingredients in Massel 7's confusing and even after emailing the company, I did not receive clarity on whether the vegetable ingredients contained onion. Need to also mention onion is a 'fructan' not 'fructose'.

      Delete
    2. There have now been several different versions of the 7's stock. Currently I believe the Beef stock contains onion which is clearly labeled on the packet, while the chicken stock no longer contains onion. I need to put together a new blog article on the chance back but I will attempt to clarify it with Massel's first.
      I am aware of the difference between fructose and fructans however it is often easier (and fairly well accepted) to just to refer to "fructose" where exact compounds are less critical. Also I believe fructans break down to fructose anyway and that is when malabsorption becomes an issue.

      Delete